The Indoor Football League (IFL) is coming to Fishers, Indiana with the new team, the Fishers Freight. It had previously been announced that Indy Fuel indoor hockey would be coming to Fishers. The Indy Fuel will be using the new Fishers Event Center set to open next year. Now it has been announced that from March to July, the Fishers Event Center will also be used for Indoor Football.
The team is expected to be the 17th in the league and the first team in Indiana in this league. There was previously indoor football in Indiana when the Indiana Firebirds played within the Arena Football League. That league ended, however, in 2004.
What can Fishers expect?
Simply put, the league has a 16-week season where teams play tend to play around 16 games. For the Fishers Freight, this should include eight home games and eight away games. Indoor football is similar to regular football in many ways, yet very different in others. Differences include a smaller field, smaller goal posts, smaller teams, and of course, a smaller cost for players. Rules are slightly different as a result as well.
Current IFL Teams
The current teams in the league are:
- Eastern Conference
- Frisco Fighters in Frisco, Texas
- Green Bay Blizzards in Ashwaubenon, Wisconsin
- Iowa Barnstormers in Des Moines, Iowa
- Jacksonville Sharks in Jacksonville, Florida
- Massachusetts Pirates in Lowell, Massachusetts
- Quad City Steamwheelers in Moline, Illinois
- Sious Falls Storm in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Tulsa Oilers in Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Western Conference
- Arizona Rattlers in Glendale, Arizona
- Bay Area Panthers in San Hose, California
- Duke City Gladiators in Rio Rancho, New Mexico
- Norther Arizona Wranglers in Prescott Valley, Arizona
- San Antonio Gunslingers in San Antonio, Texas
- San Diego Strike Force in San Diego, California
- Tuscon Sugar Skulls in Tuscon, Arizona
- Vegas Knight Hawks in Henderson, Nevada
And now joining is Fishers Freight in Fishers, Indiana
Two other prospective teams include Bismarck Bucks in Bismarck, North Dakota and Columbus Wild Dogs in Columbus, Ohio.
While Fishers no longer has a train or train tracks, it is still great to welcome a new team to the station! Games are expected to start in 2025.